Sunday, April 24, 2016

Liebster Award + Interview


It's funny how life works.  I have now been blogging for six months and just when I was starting to feel discouraged I received word from a fellow blogger that I had been nominated for a Liebster Award.  A Liebster Award is essentially an award given by other bloggers to honor new and upcoming blogs.  Although it's not much I was really touched by this nomination.  It's never easy to start a blog and put yourself "out there" not knowing what you will get in return.  This award was the reminder that I needed to keep going and not give up.

I was nominated for the award by Clare Thomson at Suitcases and Sandcastles. Clare is a UK based travel writer who blogs about books and family travel.  As part of the award process I engaged in a short question and answer session with Clare about blogging and travel.  Check out the interview below!

An Interview with Blooming in Bordeaux:

What do you most enjoy about blogging?
My favorite part about blogging is being able to share my thoughts, feelings, and ideas with others.  I have found that blogging is a great outlet for me and a fun way to keep in touch with my family and friends back in the United States.

Where do you write most of your blog posts?
I have written almost all of my blog posts at home.  I like to sit on the couch with a cup of coffee and soft music in the background for inspiration.  After trying places like Starbucks and cafes I have found that I write best in the comfort of my own home. 

What’s your best piece of travel advice?
My best piece of travel advice is this "don't hold back."  Sure, 17 Euros to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris or 50 Euros to go for a gondola ride in Venice is expensive, but these are once in a lifetime experiences.  Don't ever leave a country with regrets!

What’s your least favorite part of traveling?
My least favorite part of traveling is the actual voyage.  Whether by plane, train, bus, or automobile, I hate being confined in a small space counting down the hours until I arrive at my destination.

How would you describe your packing style?
I would describe my packing style as very organized.  I usually start packing well in advance and check packing lists on the internet to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything important!

What do you always take with you?
I always take my camera with me.  I love taking photos!

Name three of your favorite books.
1. How to Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
3. The Little Prince by Antoine Saint-Exupery

Beach shack, five-star luxury hotel or gypsy caravan, what’s the best place you’ve ever stayed in?
The best place I ever stayed was in Seoul, South Korea.  I was traveling with my dad and we stayed in an incredible luxury hotel along the Han River.

What’s the worst place you’ve ever stayed in?
When I was studying aboard my friend, Kelsey, and I traveled to London and we stayed at a filthy hostel just outside the city where we were kept up all night by two other guests that were fighting and throwing paint cans around the reception area.

Which place would you most like to go back to?
I really want to go back to Japan.  I spent a few days in Tokyo and fell in love with the country and the culture.  I would love to go back and see more of the country, especially Kyoto and Mount Fiji.  

What’s your biggest travel regret?
My biggest travel regret is not going to Hungary with my girlfriends when I had the chance.  I left them in Vienna after an amazing week of travel and headed back to France early while they continued on to Budapest.  Looking back I should have stuck around for a few more days and traveled with them.

A huge thank you to Clare for this nomination and to my family and friends for their love and constant support.  I wouldn't have been able to embark on this amazing new life adventure in France if it hadn't been for you!  Merci beaucoup

2 comments:

  1. It's great to hear that the award came at the right time, Claire. I really enjoyed reading your answers. I'm in awe of your packing style - I'm much more of a throw it in and hope for the best kind of person! And I love your travel advice about not leaving a country without regrets - you're far more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the things you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the nomination, Clare! It couldn't have come at a better time and I am so glad that we "connected." I love reading your blog and following your adventures on Instagram. :)

      Delete