Sunday, April 10, 2016

Mauritius Memories


When I was younger I thought I had my life all planned out: I was going to marry a nice guy from the midwest, settle in the Twin Cities, and honeymoon in the Caribbean after our wedding.  This only seemed logical for a girl from Minnesota, so when I ended up marrying a French guy, settling in Bordeaux, and honeymooning in French speaking Africa you can only imagine my surprise.  They say if you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.  If there is anything that I have learned over these past five years it's that you cannot plan your life.  My life has turned out so differently than I ever imagined, but I have to say that I love every minute of this new chaotic, beautiful, life.  Being with Florian has not only pushed me outside my comfort zone, but has also opened me up to places of the world I never knew existed.

Our Resort

When we got engaged Florian and I decided to divide the tasks.  I  would oversee the planning of our American wedding and he would  oversee the planning of our French honeymoon.  When he called  me up last July and suggested that we honeymoon in Mauritius I  half thought he was kidding.  I had barely ever heard of Mauritius  and surely could never locate it on a map.  However after googling  the country I was sold.  Located in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius was  everything I was looking for and more: white sand beaches,  turquoise blue waters, and most importantly a new country, a new  culture, and a new adventure.

Stunning Beaches

Although Florian and I have traveled together multiple times throughout the course of relationship (in 2013 we did a month long road trip from Fargo, ND to Napa Valley, CA and everything in between!), our trip to Mauritius was our first time flying together which definitely added to the excitement and sense of adventure.  Unsure what to expect we boarded a plane in Paris and started the 12 hour flight to Mauritius. As soon as we stepped out of the airport it was clear that we had reached paradise: sprawling mountains, fields of sugar cane, miles of beaches, and palm trees everywhere!  It might not have been the Caribbean, but it was perfect.

African Market

Over the next ten days, Florian and I soaked up the sun, splashed in the blue water, and drank cocktails to our hearts content.  However, we also visited the capital city of Port Louis, went to our first African market, bought exotic spices for next to nothing, and drank rum with the locals.  It was the perfect mix of typical tropical honeymoon, and the discovery of a new place and a new culture.  What was just another country somewhere on a map just a year ago, was now a beautiful experience forever tucked away in my heart.

Mauritius Sunset

In the words of Mark Twain, "Mauritius was made first, and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius." My time is Mauritius was truly heavenly, and I know that none of it would have been possible if I hadn't had the courage to stop planning by life and start living it.  I love my life in France and I can't wait to see what other adventures life has in store for me!  Here's to leaving planning the past and just going with the "Flo!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh,Mauritius is such a beautiful Island to visit.Cant wait to travel to Mauritius.

    http://admindepts.uonbi.ac.ke/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mildred!
      Thank you so much for your comment. This was my first trip to Mauritius and I absolutely loved it! Such a beautiful little island! I hope you get to visit Mauritius soon :)

      Delete