Sunday, May 8, 2016

Que Syrah, Syrah!


About 45 minutes east of Bordeaux, nestled between miles of lush green fields and rolling vineyards is the fairytale-esque town of Saint-Emilion.  Saint-Emilion has everything a French village should: cobblestone streets, narrow back alleys, tiny cafes, and Romanesque churches.  The town looks like something straight out of a child's fairy tale book.  In addition to being one of my favorite French villages, Saint-Emilion also holds a very special place in my heart because in some ways it was Saint-Emilion that brought me to Florian.

Rolling Vineyards

When I first traveled to Bordeaux in the fall of 2011 with my best friend, BreAnna, we had our hearts set on doing a wine tasting.  After careful research we decided that we wanted to do the highly rated, very popular, wine tasting in Saint-Emilion.  Almost as soon as we got into Bordeaux we headed to the Office de Tourisme to book our tasting only to find out that it was already full.  Utterly defeated and disappointed we almost left until a worker talked us into doing a wine tasting in the Medoc just north of Bordeaux instead.  We signed up for the wine tasting and the very next day I met Florian.  I'm not sure I believe in destiny, but I don't think it was a coincidence that our tasting in Saint-Emilion didn't work out that day.  

Tasting at Clos des Menuts

Now five years later, I was finally given the opportunity to experience my wine tasting in Saint-Emilion.  Every spring the wine regions surrounding Bordeaux put on a portes ouvertes or open house where hundreds of wine producers open their doors to the public and offer free wine tastings and cellar visits.  When my girlfriends suggested that we go last weekend to the portes ouvertes in Saint-Emilion I jumped at the idea.  Who wouldn't want to drink free wine in the cutest village in French? So, last Saturday we took the train from Bordeaux and headed to Saint-Emilion.  Although the weather was cold and rainy we didn't let that stop us from enjoying our day.  With an umbrella in one hand and a map in the other we wandered the cobble stone streets of Saint-Emilion visiting wine maker after wine maker.  We visited underground wine cellars from the 1800s, sipped a delicious 2015 red straight from the barrel, and learned the history behind some of France's greatest wines.  The day was truly wonderful!

Stunning Saint-Emilion

It took half a decade, but I finally got to experience my wine tasting in Saint-Emilion and it was definitely worth the wait.  It's amazing to think about how life always has a way of working itself out.  When I left Bordeaux after that first visit I wasn't sure if I would ever be back, let alone ever visit Saint-Emilion.  Now I am living in Bordeaux and plan on making trips to Saint-Emilion regularly.  As I've stated multiple times before I've always been a planner; someone who thought they had their life all figured out, but I'm slowly learning that that is the furthest thing from the truth.  Life is so much more fun when you let it take its course.

After all: Que Sera, Sera Syrah, Syrah- what will be, will be!

6 comments:

  1. Nice play on words! Yes. I often think of where I would be if I had taken any of the other ways at the forks in the road that I have come to. Funny to think that you made it to your original destination, just via a much longer, fun and life-changing route!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! I, too, often wonder where I would be if I had made different choices and followed different paths. However, life always has a funny way of working itself out and I wouldn't change this life for anything! :)

      Delete
  2. The Saint-Emilion tour being full that day was definitely meant to be. So happy I was there to experience the start of your love story with Flo - but CANNOT WAIT to finally make it to Saint-Emilion with you this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad you were there with me too on that special day almost 5 years ago! I can't wait for Saint-Emilion this fall. You guys are going to love it! :)

      Delete
  3. What a great title for this post, I love it! And what a lovely story too. I think we all wonder what would have happened had we taken a different path, but no wonder St Emilion is special to you. I'm glad you got there finally; I've never been :-( Thanks for linking up to #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoebe,
      Thank you so much for your comment. I am so glad to have found the #AllAboutFrance link up! Saint-Emilion is truly a wonderful place to visit. If you ever get the chance, or find yourself near Bordeaux, be sure to check it out!

      Delete