Sunday, June 19, 2016

French Love Lessons


With my one year wedding anniversary being this week I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately on this past year of marriage.  It's incredible to think about how much I have learned and grown as a person, and as a wife, over these past 365 days.  Being married to a foreigner is no easy task, but it is by far the best and most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me.  Being married to Florian has opened me up to a whole new world that I never thought possible.  I have truly been blessed beyond belief and I thank God, and Florian, every day for the lessons I've learned and the amazing adventures this first year of marriage has brought me.  So, in honor of my wedding anniversary here are 5 things I've learned being married to Frenchman:

1. Communication
Communication is so key in any relationship and particularly in a marriage.  I remember when Florian and I were completing our pre-martial counseling and this was one of the major topics that we covered.  I'll be the first to admit that communication has never been one of my strong points, but I like to think that these past few years have started to change that.  Communication has always played a huge role in my relationship with Florian because for many years that's all we had.  Doing long distance is not for the faint of heart.  Whereas other couples were able to express their love with small physical gestures and nights out on the town, Florian and I only had our words.  However, this wasn't such a bad thing.  We learned to really get to know a each other and learned how to express our thoughts, feelings, and needs... in two different languages.  Now that we are happily married and living together we continue to focus on communication, which at times can be quite comical for this Franco-American couple.  Trust me when I say that no matter how good our English/French skills may be there are definitely still moments when Florian and I have had to rely on gestures, Google Translate, and drawings to communicate, but we keep trying and keep communicating and that, to me, is the essential

2. Patience
There is a quote by Saadi Shirazi that I really like: "Have patience.  Everything is difficult before it is easy."  I think this quote perfectly sums up my relationship with Florian.  Three out of the four years that Florian and I dated were spent apart.  As I previously mentioned, long distance is not for the faint of heart and when I first moved back to the United States after my year teaching abroad, a lot of friends and family members told me that Florian and I would never last.  This was extremely hard to hear, but I knew in my heart that Florian was someone special so I decided to be patient and let the relationship run its course.  This, of course, turned out to be the best decision I could have ever made.  Now, there were definitely moments when I got tired of waiting and missed Florian so much I would just sit and cry, but I kept reminding myself that everything is difficult before it is easy.  A lot of my relationship with Florian has been about waiting... waiting to see each other, waiting to get married, waiting for our paperwork to go through, waiting for my visa, but with all this waiting I've learned to become a much more patient person and I know that at the end of the day it is, and always will be, worth it.     

3. Openness
I've always considered myself to be a very open person, but there is definitely a whole new level of openness that comes from being married to someone from another culture.  In the past year I have tried foods I never thought I would ever eat (pigeon, anyone?), attended my first Rugby match, started learning how to drive a manual car, and most importantly, started learning how to deal with all the little intricacies of French life that drive me crazy.  Life in France is definitely different than my life back in the United States, but I am learning to be open to trying new things and learning new things.  Life with Florian is a constant adventure, but he has been such a great teacher and cheerleader for me over the past year as I branch out and try to accept life in my new country.  I can't thank him enough for all the new experiences we have tackled together.   

4. Enjoyment of Life
The French are known for their joie de vivre, or enjoyment of life, and this was one of the first things that made me fall in love with Florian.  He always lives life to the fullest and enjoys all the little things.  Florian is seriously one of the happiest people that I know and over this past year I have been trying to follow his lead and learn how to kick back and enjoy life. Florian has taught me how to stop and smell the roses pick the the mushrooms, savor a three course meal, properly enjoy a bottle of wine, and how not to feel guilty about ordering dessert. Florian has also taught me that every win, no matter how small it is, is worth celebrating and believe me when I say that with Florian there is never a bottle of champagne too far away! There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy, and I'm trying my best to never forget that.

5. Unconditional Love
I wanted to save the best for last because of all the things that I have learned over this past year unconditional love is number one. Leaving behind my friends, my family, my job, and my life to move to France was by far one of the hardest things that I have ever done. This past year has taught me not only what I am capable of, but also what it means to have someone love you so completely that they are ready to do anything to make you happy. Florian has seriously gone above and beyond the call of duty to make me feel at home in France and he has never ceased to put my happiness above his own. No matter what challenges have come our way this year as we battle American and French bureaucracy, I have never doubted that we couldn't overcome them together. I know it sounds cliche, but I fall more and more in love with my Frenchman everyday. Florian is a living example that neither time, nor distance, nor language, nor culture can ever stand in the way of love.

So, to my French husband on our first wedding anniversary: Merci pour toutes les lecons que tu m'as transmises. Je t'aime plus que tout!

19 comments:

  1. How sweet! I've learned so much in marriage too, but I can only imagine that the cultural differences between you and Florian would teach you that much more! I'm so glad you didn't listen to everyone else and gave your French love a shot. It's totally clear now that it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bre! Marriage is definitely a great teacher, but I love the lessons. :) I'm so glad you were by my side the first night I met Florian and again on my wedding day. Your constant love, support, and belief in our relationship has meant the world to me!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Claire! I love this. Congrats on one year :) see you soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, Kaity! It means so much to me. I miss you and can't wait to see you soon and hear about how YOUR wedding plans are coming along! :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to hear Florian's reply to such an honest and moving reflection on your last year. I am sure that it would be just as passionate. It sounds like your 'forever' is built on very solid ground and I hope that you really enjoy your anniversary celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      Thank you so much for your comment! I actually read my post to Florian on our anniversary as part of my gift and he teared up. Our first year together as husband and wife has been wonderful and I can't wait to spent the rest of my life with him!

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written, Claire! Thank you for sharing this. I am so happy for you and Flo. Please continue to enjoy life and to share your experiences. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amanda! Your comment means a lot to me! :) I hope you and the family are doing well. Je t'embrasse tres fort!

      Delete
  5. As someone who is married to a German, I can resonate with this post in so many ways. There are additional challenges that people like you and I face when moving across the globe for love. Marriage is hard enough - and then adding that onto it makes it doubly hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith! Thank you so much for your comment and for stopping by my blog. I love meeting fellow bloggers! You are so correct in saying that marriage is already hard and then add being in a cross cultural marriage to the mix and suddenly things are extra tricky. I am sure you can agree though when I say that the adventure is beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

      Delete
  6. This is so sweet! Happy (belated) anniversary and I can't wait to follow your and Florian's adventures in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment, Rebecca! I still can't believe a whole year has gone by since the wedding. Time is flying! Hope you are enjoying your latest adventure in the Caribbean! :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, you are very lucky to live in Bordeaux (one of my favourite cities in France) and be married to a Frenchman! #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline!
      Thank you so much for your comment and your warm wishes! Living in Bordeaux is definitely an amazing adventure. It's such a beautiful city! I feel very blessed. :)

      Delete
  8. I feel like this is the perfect introduction to you and your blog! Great to find you on #AllAboutFrance and excited to read more! Congrats on your first lovely year of marriage - it really only gets better and better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy!
      Thank you for your comment! I'm so glad you found my blog and decided to stop by. :) Thank you also for your kind words and warm wishes. Marriage is wonderful and I'm so excited for the years to come!

      Delete
  9. I second what Christy says, it really does get better. I've recently celebrated my 20th anniversary being married to my Frenchie. Congratulations and thanks for linking to #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pheobe!
      Congratulations on your 20 year wedding anniversary! That is amazing and so inspiring! I'm glad to hear that it gets better. Our first year has definitely been an adventure but I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

      Delete
  10. This is something that can really disrupt a situation. hector
    If you don't know how to handle a relationship problem you should seek professional help.

    ReplyDelete