Monday, November 16, 2015

Vive la France


People often like to ask the question, "where were you when ...?"

     "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?"
     "Where were you when the first man landed on the moon?"
     "Where were you the morning of September 11?"

When asked where I was on the night of Friday November 13, 2015 I can tell you this: I was not in Paris.  I was safe and sound on vacation in the south of France with my husband.  However, ask me what I was doing and I will tell you this: I was eating in a restaurant, drinking a bottle of champagne, listening to a live band, laughing... doing the exact same things that led to the death of so many innocent people in Paris that night.  The French are known for their joie de vivre or their enjoyment of life, attack that and you are attacking the essence of the French culture.  The same things that ISIS referred to as "obscene" in their message of correspondence are the same things that I admire and love about this country.

Although I am not French, these horrific attacks have affected me deeply because they are not only an attack on the country and the culture that I love so dearly, but because I see how deeply they shock and hurt my French family and my French friends.  In the days following the attacks I have been extremely touched by the love, support, and many messages that I have received from friends, family, and blog readers.  I cannot put into words how much your care and concern for me and my family in France means to me.  Merci du fond du coeur!

When asked if I feel the effects of the aftermath in Bordeaux, the answer is yes.  L'etat d'urgence issued by President Francois Hollande is in effect all over the country.  This past weekend all concerts, sporting events, etc. were cancelled in Bordeaux.  The busses and tramways throughout the city eerily caution riders to be on the lookout for suspicious activity.  The police are out in full force.  They are randomly patrolling cars on the highway and the city busses.  The movie theaters and malls in and around Bordeaux are requiring every person to be searched before entering.  If you don't agree to being searched, you don't enter.  Just yesterday I had my purse searched before entering the grocery store!  So, yes, although I wasn't in Paris that night I do feel the effects of this tragedy every time I leave the apartment.

In light of this all I often get asked if I am afraid.  Afraid to be living in a country where there is now a policeman around every corner.  Afraid to be living in a country that has suffered two horrible attacks in the past 11 months.  Here is my answer: No, I am not afraid.  I am proud.  Proud to be living in a country that refuses to back down.  A country that, although moving forward cautiously, has refused to give up their joie de vivre.  So, my dear France, keep loving, laughing, drinking, singing, and dancing because life is too short to be anything but joyful!

3 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to hear that you are all doing well and not letting the evil one steal your joy! God is in control so we need not be afraidl! In Jesus name we all stand with France!

    ReplyDelete