Sunday, December 13, 2015

Three Truths and a Lie


There is a great ice breaker game that I used to play with my students called "three truths and a lie."  Each person makes four statements about themselves, three being true and one being false, and the object of the game is to see if the audience can decipher the lie.  Being an avid reader of blogs and other memoirs in which people seem to gush about their glamorous lives abroad I can't help but feel like I am playing this game.  Every book or blog I read seems to have the same four take-aways:

Learning a new language is rewarding.
Moving abroad is easy.
It is important to chase your dreams.
Living in another country is a constant adventure. 

However, what the authors don't seem to tell you is that only three of these statements are actually true: there is nothing easy about moving abroad. 

As I read about the many men and women who have decided to leave everything behind and move to France to follow their dreams or to be with the love of their life I can't help but want to scream as they describe how they made the difficult decision to go, packed their life into three large suitcases, and boarded the plane to Paris.  "Wait!" I want to yell, "Did you get a visa to go over there? If so, how? What did you need to do?  How long did it take?  Where did you apply?" If these past four years with Florian have taught me anything it's that moving to another country is no cakewalk.

After meeting Florian in October 2011 we spent the rest of my stay in France flying around and meeting each other in various cities throughout the country to maximize our time together.  As my teaching contract came to an end in May 2012 and my visa was expiring we searched desperately for a way for me to stay in France.  However, without a job I couldn't get a visa, and without a visa I couldn't get a job.  Sad and defeated I packed my bags, said "au revoir" to Florian, and headed back to the United States to find a teaching job.

Four years later I still don't feel like much as changed.  We are married now and I am in the process of applying for a spousal visa, but I still find myself running into one problem after another.  First they sent our marriage license to France, then the extra copies of our license got lost in the mail, only to be found in time for the French Consulate to close for August vacation.  It's been a wild ride and we are still only in the beginning stages.  Although we are now together, I can't help but feel frustrated that after all this time I am still residing in France on a 90 day tourist visa anxiously awaiting the arrival of our livret de famille so that I can start the paperwork for my visa.  However, in spite of all the ups and downs I am trying to focus on what is really important: I am finally reunited with the man that I love.  I know it won't be an easy process, and I am sure that we will be met with other challenges along the way, but I chose this life and I wouldn't change it for anything.

So with that being said I'd like to revise the above statement:

Moving abroad is easy challenging, but well worth it!

8 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best with getting your visa as soon as possible, Claire. I lived in Mexico on many 3-6 month tourist visas in the 8 and a half years that I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jeanne! They sure don't make living abroad easy, do they? :)

      Delete
  2. Love your honesty! I'm sure many others in your same boat will benefit from reading this. Soon you'll get your visa and this will all seem like a distant dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci ma fille! I'm trying to keep my head up and hope that others in the same boat can benefit from my blog posts!

      Delete
  3. I moved with my husband and three children to France, originally for a year and, ok, yes, for the adventure. I am one of those who wrote a book about their experience. Therein you'll certainly find support for your theory that nothing is easy when you go on your own without the luxury of a company-provided assistant, on call to help with all of the problems of ex-patriation. All I can say is you will get there. You have love and the language on your side already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine!
      Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really means a lot to me. Moving abroad has definitely not been easy, but I truly do love living in France! I really hope you, your husband, and your children are enjoying every moment of the adventure! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Claire! We are now back in Australia (3yrs ago) but chose to come back to a new city for us -Sydney, partly because we needed the adventure to continue. That, too, was not easy, despite being in a beautiful city, understanding protocol and knowing the language. Possibly because by that stage, France was our new 'norm' . We certainly felt like it was home. Anyway, we couldn't let go of this and, despite the obvious impracticalities of buying a house on the other side of the world, that is exactly what we did. So, the adventure continues... Ps I loved Bordeaux. We were there in 2010 on a spur of the moment trip to see the Tour de France. And, other Australian friends have just headed there to call it home. I'm looking forward to browsing your blog some more. A bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I have always wanted to visit Australia (especially Sydney). What a great adventure for your family to have spent time living in France. I hope you are able to come back and visit France often! I'm glad you liked Bordeaux- I have truly fallen head over heels in love with the city. :)

      Delete